Thursday, June 9, 2016

Don't Run Backwards

Yesterday I was watching a soccer game. Well, watching is not really accurate. My kids were watching it on TV and I walked through the room. I have no interest in sports what-so-ever. It was just on as I walked through. But as I happened to glance at the screen, I noticed that these guys sometimes had to run backwards.

That made me think: What would happen if I tried to run backwards? I think we all know the answer to that question. It would likely result in a trip to the E.R.



I have taken up a new exercise routine that involves running. I have found I can barely run forwards without falling down and breaking my neck. I can't imagine what would happen if I tried to do any of it backwards.

That made me think of the following scripture...

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭12:1-2‬ ‭NLT


Spiritually speaking, we cannot really run the race that God has set before us if we are constantly looking backwards at our life. When we focus on the past, and dwell on our many failures, BAM! Right flat down on our face we go.

If we shouldn't run a physical race looking backwards, but rather forwards focusing on the finish line, then we probably shouldn't run a spiritual race backwards as well.

Prayer:
Daddy God, we worship you, and we praise your holy and precious name. We thank you for stripping off the heavy weight of sin, depression, and discouragement. We thank you for getting our attention when we are distracted and wrapping your love around us. Today as we all begin our days, we ask that all the worries and frustrations of yesterday be gone in Jesus name. For today is a new day. We thank you for the air we breath and the love you give. We ask that as we honor you in all we do, that you bless our day and give us the opportunity to shine your light in this broken world. Lord, I just ask that you continue to heal and restore all my friends that are sick and afflicted, and that your healing power just envelop their bodies. That their mind is fixed on you, so that they may see you glorified in their situations. We adore you, Lord. Amen!!!